The SAM Format of the INM is the document by which minors, Mexican or foreign, with Temporary, Temporary Student or Permanent Residence, can travel abroad alone or in the company of a third party of legal age.
Minors’ Exit Format (SAM Format)AuthorMigration’s national institute Publication date December 05, 2019
Since 2014, the SAM Format is used as a facilitation and protection measure to prevent girls, boys, and adolescents who travel alone or with a third party abroad from being illegally extracted from the country.
The SAM Form is an alternative to the power of attorney and the document issued by the judicial authority. Unlike these two options, valid and in force, parents or guardians can initiate the request for the SAM Form through the INM page, any day of the year, 24 hours a day and it is free.
What is the procedure to obtain the SAM Format?
1. Fill out the form on – line and print it out.
2. To avoid setbacks, we recommend you go in advance to the nearest INM representative office or to the points of entry and exit abroad (airports, sea and land ports) with the SAM Form duly filled out and the following documentation:
- Original and 3 copies of the minor’s Passport
- 3 copies of the minor’s birth certificate
- 3 copies of the current identification of the person exercising parental authority or guardianship of the minor.
- 3 copies of the current identification of the minor’s companion (in case he is traveling with a third party of legal age)
3. Once at the INM representative office, the Federal Migration Agent will review the documentation and, if there are no irregularities, will proceed to seal the forms to give them official validity.
It is very important to mention that only INM agents are authorized to stamp the SAM Form, without this stamp, minors will not be able to leave Mexican territory even if they have their travel ticket.
Why are three copies of each of the documents required?
When you fill out the SAM Form online, the system automatically prints three sheets, each of which shows who it is intended for: one for the Federal Migration Agent, another for the travel company, and the third that you must keep as your user acknowledgment.
In which cases is it not necessary to present the SAM Format?
In case the minors travel accompanied with both parents, one of them, their legal guardian or if they are going to be repatriated to Mexico.
Important points you should know about the SAM Format:
- It is valid for six months from its issuance and can only be used once during its validity period.
- The SAM Format is a free procedure.
- A SAM Form must be processed for each minor who is going to go abroad and for each trip that he or she takes.
- The user must present only the original passport of the minor and, where appropriate, the original passport of the third party accompanying him / her, the other documents can be presented in copies.
- In no case, INM staff may request any other requirement or additional documentation to receive the documentation and stamp the stamp of receipt.
- The receipt stamps stamped by the immigration authority must be considered as valid for the place destined for the international transit of persons through which the minors intend to leave the national territory.
- In the case of opting for the power of attorney or requiring judicial authorization , these must also be submitted in original and two copies , along with the required documentation.
- If the minor is traveling alone , the procedure can be done by one or both parents .
- If the minor travels with a third party of legal age , the procedure must be carried out by the companion, who previously, during the completion of the form, will enter the requested data .
- It is important that the minors also attend the day of the procedure , to avoid setbacks.
- We recommend you go in advance to seal the SAM Form.
- Check the locations and hours of our INM Representation Offices.
- In case of irregularities detected during the stamping of your SAM Format, contact us at our Call Center: 01 800 00 46264
Protect your daughters and sons! If you are going to travel abroad alone or in the company of a third party, do not forget to process your SAM Form!