Blas Nunez-Neto, assistant secretary of the US Department of Homeland Security stated: “Crossing numbers have dropped significantly along the Mexico-U.S. border”.
Nunez-Neto said last week’s policy change appeared to be achieving the goal of reducing illegal immigration.
The number of Mexicans encountered fell from 1,900 daily to 1,000 and Colombians from 1,400 to 510 a day.
The number of Venezuelan migrants had also plunged to 50 per day, after hitting 2,400 before the policy change.
The 4,000 a day was also lower than the average of 7,000 encounters a day in April.
In addition, there were signs that the northward movement of migrants from South and Central America to the Mexico-US frontier has slowed, said Nunez-Neto.
“We are also seeing some early promising signs that entries into the Darien jungle between Colombia and Panama have been declining in recent days,” he said, referring to a particularly treacherous section of the main route for migrants heading north.
Instead, “tens of thousands” have been applying for immigration interviews with US Customs and Border Protection, and over 5,000 have been “processed” in their appointments since May 12, Nunez-Neto said.
And many Haitians, Venezuelans, and Cubans are taking advantage of a special program to migrate as refugees that requires them to apply from abroad, he added.
“I want to stress once again that it is still too soon to draw any firm conclusions here about where these trends will go in the coming days and weeks,” said Nunez-Neto.
“We continue to monitor the situation on our border and in Mexico and along the transit routes in real-time,” he said.