Tzintzuntzan Archaeological Zone is located about 17 kilometers from Patzcuaro and 100 kilometers from Morelia, at the edge of the Pátzcuaro lake.
Between 1200 and 1521 AD, this town was the political, cultural, and economic capital, of the Purepecha culture (and Michoacán) for many years before the arrival of the Spanish, who established alliances to stop the Aztec expansion.
The name Tzintzuntzan comes from the Purepecha word which means “place of hummingbirds”. This is the ideal place for people who appreciate craftsmanship firsthand, and for those who enjoy historical and archaeological places.
The Tzintzuntzan Archaeological Zone consists of buildings called Yácatas, rounded pyramid-like structures built on a large platform, where the Purepecha lived and which can still be visited. It covers an area of more than 6 square kilometers. This area was not only for temples but there were also rooms here, both for priests and other inhabitants. Although the ruins are quite damaged, there are still vestiges of knowledge about writing and architecture of the Purepecha. These pyramids can be clearly seen from the edge of town.
The Franciscan convent built around 1570 has beautifully kept gardens surrounded by olive trees. The original door from the 16th century with its triumphal arch can still be seen. On one side is an open chapel (where Masses were celebrated in colonial times) and a Baroque Chapel of Solitude, plus several convent walls that are decorated with murals.https://sectur.michoacan.gob.mx/
Today, the town of Tzintzuntzan is a place of excellent recreational activities and the resting place of wealthy families who own homes on the shores of Lake Patzcuaro.
Tzintzuntzan Archaeological Zone is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 to 6:00. Admission: $46.00 pesos, which includes entrance to the archaeological site and museum.